Tired of the same old “dinner and a movie” dates? It’s nice once in a while, but it can get old sometimes, and very expensive too. I’ve never had much money, so I’ve had to be very creative when it comes to dates over the years. Here are my top six cheap date ideas.
6. A walk in the park. No matter where you live, there’s bound to somewhere close by that has a walking path or trail. Set aside a few hours and go for walk together. Talk to each other about whatever you like (stay away from stressful topics such as work, money, etc.). You can even bring a picnic lunch and a blanket, if you like.
5. Free concerts. Many communities host free concerts frequently, from classical music, to rock, folk, and country. Some even have plays and musicals performed by local students or amateur actors. Most of these are free, and may be combined with idea #6 for an extended date.
4. Sunday drive. You don’t have to do this on Sunday, of course, but the idea is the same. One day, when the weather is nice, go out for a drive down some old back-country roads, with no real destination in mind. You listen to music, talk to each other, or ride in silence, enjoying the beauty as it passes by.
3. Museums. There are museums for many things other than just fine art, and there are probably some right in your home town. Historical museums (a personal favorite) are very common, especially in small towns and communities. And the best part is, many of them are free.
2. Go dancing. Whether it’s rock, hip-hop, line dancing, square dancing, ballroom dancing, salsa, or any other kind of dancing, dancing is a lot of fun, and won’t break the bank. Dancing is fun, and it gets the blood flowing, releasing endorphins into your brain, making you feel good. It also forces intimacy, which often leads to more fun later. You don’t know how to dance? Few people actually do. It’s really just moving your body to the rhythm of the music. But, if you insist, you can take dance classes together, which can also be a lot of fun. Many community organizations offer free dance classes, especially for beginners.
1. A day in bed. Call in sick. Have you partner call in sick. Don’t get yourself fired from your job or anything. Use vacation time if you have to. Turn off your cell phone, pager, etc. Rent a movie with some hot love scenes in it, or rent an adult movie even. Watch the movie, and re-enact the scenes in the movie. Spending all day in bed with your partner is a lot of fun, and really forces the two of you to connect on many levels.
These are just a few suggestions from someone who rarely goes on extravagant dates. Sometimes, the creative, cheaper dates can be the most fun, so get creative, and go have some fun with your partner.